Another year is in the books, and it was a very busy 2018 for Beacon Hose in a number of ways. Of course, we enjoyed unbelievable support at our fundraisers and community events, but our emergency responders were also busier than ever.
Beacon Hose responded to 363 fire/rescue calls in 2018, a dramatic increase from the usual average of 250-300 calls. Many of those calls — more than 110 of them, in fact — came in the immediate aftermath of the tornado that struck Beacon Falls on May 15.
Continue reading Beacon Hose Reports Busier-Than-Average Call Volume in 2018
Beacon Hose responded overnight on Aug. 30 to a structure fire at 127 Beacon Valley Road. The vacant two-story home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived around 3:30 a.m.
Chief Jim Trzaski ordered a defensive exterior attack and we extinguished the fire in about an hour. About 25 firefighters, including a mutual-aid ladder truck from Naugatuck, responded to the scene. Citizens’ Engine Co. No. 2 provided mutual-aid station coverage at our firehouse.
There were no injuries, and we had cleared the scene by 7 a.m. The fire was under an arson investigation.
Continue reading Beacon Hose Fights Structure Fire on Beacon Valley Road
Beacon Hose responded Feb. 19 at 4:30 p.m. to Station-Glo on Noe Place and South Main Street for a dumpster fire.
Engine 3 was first on scene with a full crew and worked to open the dumpster to extinguish the fire. Engine 2 and Rescue 4 both joined the scene shortly afterwards.
The fire was contained to the dumpster, although there was some exposure to the structure. An investigation found smoke in the attic, but the structure was ventilated and there was no extension. The dumpster was overhauled and crews left the scene. A total of 17 members responded to the scene. The incident is under investigation.
Continue reading Beacon Hose Extinguishes Dumpster Fire at Station-Glo
It’s been a busy couple of weeks for our brothers at the Naugatuck Fire Department, and Beacon Hose has been called to provide mutual aid at four fires during that time.
The biggest and most recent response came Feb. 13 at the Meadowland Estates condominiums on Horton Hill Road for a working structure fire.
The fire started at around 6 a.m. in the basement of a middle unit and spread to the first floor, second floor and attic. Engine 3 was dispatched at 6:28 a.m.
Continue reading BHC Provides Mutual Aid at Several Fires in Naugatuck
Beacon Hose was dispatched Monday, Dec. 21, at 12:09 p.m. to a home on Cook Lane for the report of a dryer fire.
Upon arrival, Chief Jim Trzaski noticed smoke showing from the rear porch. Upon investigation, fire was found in the first-floor laundry room. The response was upgraded to a working structure fire.
Mutual aid from Naugatuck Fire Department’s Ladder 1 and Citizens’ Engine Co. No. 2’s Engine 11 were also dispatched to the scene. Beacon Hose’s Engine 3 was the first apparatus on scene with a four-man crew.
Continue reading Beacon Hose Responds to Dryer Fire