The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires is failure to clean them. Here is a list of safety tips, as provided by the National Fire Protection Association, to help keep your laundry area safe and fire-free.
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
- Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
- Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
- Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are in tact and free of leaks.
- Make sure the right plug and outlet are used and that the machine is connected properly.
- Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and don’t overload your dryer.
- Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.
- Dryers should be properly grounded.
- Check the outdoor vent flap to make sure it is not covered by snow.
- Keep the area around your dryer clear of things that can burn, like boxes, cleaning supplies and clothing.
- Clothes that have come in contact with flammable substances, like gasoline, paint thinner, or similar solvents should be laid outside to dry, then can be washed and dried as usual.
4 thoughts on “Tips to Prevent Fires in the Laundry Room”
Thank you for sharing such helpful content!
Thank you for sharing such useful tips! Fire as well as water cause the greatest damage to the house.
Such a helpul guide! Thank you.
Also, ensure all switches and outlets are in good condition. External issues with these components may belie deeper wiring issues, which can even cause fires and shocking if you are not careful.