Update: Thank you for your support!
The Beacon Hose Firemen’s Carnival, one of Beacon Falls’ longest lasting and most enjoyable traditions, is set to return for the 54th time this Thursday-Saturday, June 8-10, on the grounds of Beacon Hose.
Each June, thousands of visitors from Beacon Falls and towns all over the state join us for three nights of delicious food, cold drinks, exciting rides, great fun and engaging music to help raise funds for the civic side of Beacon Hose’s operations.
Carnivals and parades used to be common traditions among local fire departments, but many have been discontinued over the years because of the work required. We’ve made sure to continue an event that has become a town-wide tradition. Proceeds from the carnival go toward our community efforts, including sponsorship of local youth sports, fire prevention programs, educational scholarships, holiday functions, events throughout the community and opportunities for our volunteer members.
Last year was by far our most successful event ever. We spent a great deal of effort planning and implementing a number of changes to modernize the event, and our supporters rewarded us with a tremendous turnout. We’re working on a few more little tweaks, but here are some of the highlights.
- NO MORE FOOD TICKETS: The reaction to our getting rid of food tickets and letting carnival-goers pay right at the food booths was overwhelmingly positive, so we’re keeping it. You’ll order on one side of the booth, get your receipt, and pick up your order on the other side. We encourage cash, but we’ll accept credit cards using our PayPal Here app for a $1 transaction fee.
- MENU CHANGEUP: We’re working on a few new menu options, including some delectable fried treats. (Think dessert.) We’ll announce the new items when we’ve got them nailed down.
- BEER, MARGARITAS AND SANGRIA OUTSIDE: Last year, we moved our beer truck outside to make things a little less busy inside the firehouse, and it worked great. Our new perimeter fencing allows our patrons to have a drink while enjoying the weather or watching their kids on the rides. Plus, our margaritas (the Corner Tavern’s house recipe), sangria and craft beers will be back. As always, we’ll be strictly monitoring the alcohol and will be issuing wristbands to all those who purchase a drink after age verification.
- MORE SEATING: To help relieve the cramping inside the firehouse, extra seating is available outdoors, including by the picturesque setting in Volunteer Park.
- ROCK-CLIMBING WALL: Last year we had a mechanical bull, and this year we’re bring in a rock-climbing wall that measures nearly 40 feet tall!
- 50/50 RAFFLE: We’ll host an event-long 50/50 raffle with the winner being drawn Saturday night (the winner doesn’t have to be present). Last year, the winner took home more than $1,200!
- MERCHANDISE: We’ll have T-shirts, hats, drinkware and Koozies for sale at our merchandise tent. We only accept cash there, but you can buy with a credit card on our website by clicking here.
- THE CLASSICS: And as always, you can count on our selection of delicious carnival food (from burgers to lobster) and drinks, and rides and games presented by Marenna Amusements.
Try to contain your excitement. Here’s what’s on tap for each night of the carnival.
- THURSDAY: We’re open from 6-10 p.m. Jeff Kean will host our trivia competition again at 7:30 p.m. (teams of 2-8 players, $5 per player) with a cash prize for the winning team.
- FRIDAY: We’re open from 6-11 p.m. Purl will be on the music stage from 6:30-10:30 p.m.
- SATURDAY: We’re open from 3-11:30 p.m. The parade steps off at Route 42 and South Main Street at 6 p.m. Trophy winners will be announced at 9 p.m. We’ll have live music from the Mason West Band from 7-11 p.m.
We know that we’ll get plenty of the terrific support that we’ve come to expect and enjoy over the decades. We’re also kindly asking for donations from residents, friends and businesses to help offset the costs of this event. If you’d like to make a donation, please click here. If you’d like to become a business sponsor, please click here.