Update: Thanks for your support!
The Beacon Hose Firemen’s Carnival, one of Beacon Falls’ longest lasting and most enjoyable traditions, is set to return for the 53rd time this Thursday-Saturday, June 9-11, on the grounds of Beacon Hose.
Each June, thousands of visitors from Beacon Falls and towns all over the state join us for three nights of delicious food, cold drinks, exciting rides, great fun and engaging music to help raise funds for the civic side of Beacon Hose’s operations.
Carnivals and parades used to be common traditions among local fire departments, but many have been discontinued over the years because of the work required. We’ve made sure to continue an event that has become a town-wide tradition. Proceeds from the carnival go toward our community efforts, including sponsorship of local youth sports, fire prevention programs, educational scholarships, holiday functions, events throughout the community and opportunities for our volunteer members.
We realized after last year’s event that there is room for some tweaks and additions to make the carnival a better experience for everybody, so we reached out to our supporters and our members earlier this year to see what they’d like to see. With that, here’s the list of changes coming this June:
- NO MORE FOOD TICKETS: The long ticket lines are gone. Instead of buying tickets for food, now you can pay by cash or credit card directly at the food booths. You’ll order on one side of the booth, get your receipt, and pick up your order on the other side when your number is called. We encourage cash, but we’ll accept credit cards using our PayPal Here app for a $1 transaction fee.
- ROAST BEEF AND TOPPINGS: We’re adopting a local fair favorite and adding freshly carved roast beef sandwiches to the menu..
- CONDIMENT STATIONS: Add ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, mayo, horseradish sauce, salt and pepper at these new areas.
- BEER TRUCK — AND MORE ALCOHOL — OUTSIDE: We’ll be moving the beer truck outside to make things a little less busy inside the firehouse. Our new perimeter fencing allows our patrons to have a drink while enjoying the weather or watching their kids on the rides. And buckle up: We’re adding margaritas (the Corner Tavern’s house recipe), sangria and two craft beers. We’ll be strictly monitoring the alcohol and will be issuing wristbands to all those who purchase a drink after age verification.
- MORE SEATING: We’ll be adding more tables near the fried dough booth and the bullpen (Thursday and Friday, anyway).
- MECHANICAL BULL: Our guys enjoyed the world-famous Willy the Bull way too much at the Goshen Stampede, so we’re bringing him here. Try your skills for fun, or enter the $200 challenge. It’s located near our bullpen. (Makes sense, right?)
- 50/50 RAFFLES: Each night, we’ll be holding a 50/50 raffle with big cash prizes. Drawings will be held about 30 minutes before closing time each night. Winners do not have to be present.
- MERCHANDISE: We’ll have T-shirts, hats, drinkware and Koozies for sale at our merchandise tent. We only accept cash there, but you can buy with a credit card on our website very soon.
Try to contain your excitement. Here’s what’s on tap for each night of the carnival.
- THURSDAY: We’re open from 6-10 p.m. We’ll be hosting our trivia competition again at 7:30 p.m. (teams of 2-8 players, $5 per player) with a cash prize for the winning team.
- FRIDAY: We’re open from 6-11 p.m. Purl will be on stage from 7-11 p.m.
- SATURDAY: We’re open from 3 p.m.-midnight. The parade steps off at Route 42 and South Main Street at 6 p.m. Trophy winners will be announced at 9 p.m. We’ll have live music from Beacon Falls’ own Marc and Jeff from 7:30-11:30 p.m.
We know that we’ll get plenty of the terrific support that we’ve come to expect and enjoy over the decades. We’re also kindly asking for donations from residents, friends and businesses to help offset the costs of this event. If you’d like to make a donation, please click here. If you’d like to become a business sponsor, please click here.